Skip to main content

Electoral Violence: Bayelsa To Purnish offenders as state Government recieves 2015 report





The Bayelsa State Executive Council on Wednesday vowed to ensure that sponsors and perpetrators of electoral violence in the state are made to face the full weight of the law.

At its 100 meeting presided over by Governor Henry Seriake Dickson, the council said it took the decision following the submission of the report by the Judicial Commission of Inquiry on the 2015 general elections.

The council said the mayhem that was brought on the state by desperate politicans cannot be overlooked and therefore called for the white paper on the report in order to take steps to punish all those found culpable.
                                   
Briefing journalists after the centenary meeting, the Secretary to the State Government, Mr. Kemela Okara said the council took time to deliberate on the issue because of its importance.

He said it was also imperative in view of the coming elections, as the government is committed to protect the lives of the people and prevent avoidable deaths that characterized the last elections.

"We want to underscore the fact that Bayelsa is a state of law and order. The Restoration Government believes in upholding law and order. And so we will not condone any action that will bring violence on our people in the name of seeking for elective offices. We take the lives of our people very serious and we must do all that we can to protect them" he said.

Also speaking, the Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Daniel Iworiso-Markson said as a responsive government, they owe Bayelsans the trust to protect their lives at all times.

He stated that those who feel they can get into power through killings will not go scot free, stressing that they must pay for the consequences of their action.

Iworiso-Markson said: "Today council looked at the electoral violence of 2015. The general elections, leading up to the governorship election based on the report of the commission of inquiry. So it was resolved that the white paper on it should be produced.

"We want those who are engaged in electoral violence to know that there is punishment for their actions. This government cannot fold her hands and allow those who took part in the violence of 2015 to go unpunished. We owe our people a duty to protect them.

"As we speak, a number of families are still mourning the death of their loved ones, some people are still nursing their injuries arising from the 2015 election. We must not allow a repeat of that. We want politicans to go about their electoral activities with utmost decorum. We want to avoid bloodshed in the coming elections".

Iworiso-Markson also urged the media to work with the government ahead of the elections next year to effectively carry out the campaign against electoral violence.




ENDs...
07:27

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ondo Bye-election: Aspirant Promises Quality* *Representation

. A Chieftain of the Peoples Democracy Party, (PDP), and a leading aspirant in the forthcoming House of Representatives bye-election for Akure South/North Federal Constituency, Barrister Olumuyiwa Adu, yesterday, said the federal constituency would receive premium quality and enlightened representation if given the ticket to fly the party’s flag for the bye-election. Adu who made this statement while addressing a group of youths in the party, said quality representation is key to the development of any constituency and would do everything possible to build on the legacy of late Hon. Dayo Omolafe popularly called Expensive. Omolafe was a Member of the Federal House Of Representatives who represented Akure South /North at the lower chamber of the National Assembly. He was buried last month after a brief illness and the seat was declared vacant by the Independent National Electoral Commision,INEC. According to him, his new deal promise, which he said is a transformation mission wa...

OPINION: Politicising Tragedy

 The sad occurrence of the collapse of a 21 storey building in Lagos was a monumental disaster. Certainly the loss of more than 20 lives up to-date is a painful human tragedy. All attention must be focussed on what happened, why it happened and how can future occurrences be prevented all together!. Governor Babajide Sanwoolu, as usual of him, immediately rose to the occasion. Cut short his schedule official engagement in Rome and went to the venue straight from the airport. Even before his arrival the General Manager in charge was immediately sent on compulsory leave. Within 24hrs the governor has visited the site and the surviving victims about twice and a technical enquiry committee of capable and highly credible professionals has been put in place to unravel whatever happened and to advice government appropriately on issues including that of culpability, negligence and possible acts of criminality. It is widely reported that the number of floors constructed was far in exces...

Gov Sule of Nasarawa state visits Olam Multimillion dollar farm and Mill in Rukubi

 The Nasarawa State Governor, Abdulahi Sule has visited the Olam Multimillion dollar Rice Farm and Mill in Rukubi Doma Local Government Area of Nasarawa State. Speaking while making his welcome remarks, Mr. Anil Nair, Senior Vice President and Head of Olam Rice Business, a $140million investment said, it gave him great pleasure and a rare privilege to welcome the Executive Governor of Nasarawa State to Olam Integrated Rice Farm despite his tight schedule. Governor Abdulahi Sule and Mr.Anil Nair, Senior Vice president and Head of Rice Business, a $140 million investment in Nasarawa State  He thanked the governor on behalf of the entire Management Team of the Farm, for the interest he has shown for the activities of Olam Business in Nasarawa State and said this goes to show the level of the governor's passion towards the development of Nasarawa State Economy.   The Olam Vice President, Mr. Anil Nair, noted that the governor's visit yesterday, 2nd of November, couldn’...